Art & Design
At Abbey Park Schools Federation, we provide an Art and Design curriculum which engages, inspires and challenges pupils. We want to equip all children with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. Children will become confident and proficient in a variety of techniques including drawing, painting, sculpting, collage and printing. Children will also develop their knowledge of famous artists, architects and designers. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
The teaching and implementation of Art and Design is based on the EYFS and National Curriculum to ensure a well-structured, broad and balanced approach to this creative subject. We support this through skills progression across the Federation and topic based projects to maximise skills, knowledge, understanding and language for all children.
The emphasis on knowledge ensures that children understand the context of the artwork, as well as the artists, architects and designers that they are learning about and being inspired by. A similar focus on skills means that children are given opportunities to express their creative imagination, as well as practice and develop mastery in the key processes of art: drawing, painting, printing, collage and sculpture. Children’s knowledge and skills are built upon over a sequence of lessons which lead to a final piece.
By the time children leave our school they will:
- Demonstrate a love for art and design and be keen to learn new skills and work hard to perfect those shown to them.
- Produce cross-curricular art work which shows feelings and emotions.
- Use technical vocabulary accurately and know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified.
- Be more confident in analysing their work and offering an opinion on their own and other works of art.
- Will show competences in improving their resilience and perseverance by continually evaluating and improving their work.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.