Design & Technology
At Abbey Park Schools Federation, we aim to provide a design and technology curriculum which enables children to think creatively and critically. Pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Skills are taught progressively with high expectations for all pupils. We have a purposeful learning approach to generate engaging activities for learning. We want our pupils to show resilience to persist with a project when challenges arise. Pupils are encouraged to understand that mistakes are part of the design, make, and evaluative process. This will enable them to develop key life skills for their future with a passion to progress and improve.
Our curriculum enables all children to flourish and become the very best version of themselves. We follow the EYFS and National Curriculum, supported by skills progression to maximise skills, knowledge, understanding and language for all children. UPKS2 and KS3 children are exposed to a dedicated D&T area with a range of tools.
Children design products with a purpose in mind and an intended user of the products. They are taught to combine their design, making, evaluative skills with their technological knowledge in order to create and improve products.
Food technology is implemented across the school with children developing an understanding of where food comes from, the importance of a varied and healthy diet and develop skills to prepare food safely and hygienically.
We provide cross curricular opportunities enabling pupils to connect their learning and apply their skill set to various projects. Children learn to take risks, be reflective, innovative, enterprising and resilient.
By the time children leave our school they will:
- Have an excellent attitude to problem solving, working efficiently and constructively with others and independently.
- Show initiative and ask questions when researching products acquiring an understanding of the user’s needs.
- Apply their skillset and technical knowledge confidently to make high quality products.
- To act responsibly and resourcefully; safely managing risks for themselves and others.
- To become innovators and risk takers, developing a ‘growth mindset’.
- Develop a passion for the subject, enjoy the challenge and feeling of accomplishment when producing the best possible product.